posted by
realitycheck at 01:36am on 06/06/2009 under atheism, in which i cannot get along with people, my neighbors, religion
So my neighbors are mostly pretty cool. They're a conservative Catholic couple, and they live on the other side of the duplex my partner and I live in. Contrary to what one might expect, the four of us have gotten along brilliantly ever since we moved in. We hang out, play games, walk their dogs together, borrow things from each other, and housesit for each other. I let myself believe that they are OK with us, but I know they're not. In fact, after a couple of drinks, the man (who has that homophobic doth-protest-too-much thing going) will admit to believing that gay people are, and I quote, "a manifestation of evil in the world." Yeah. OK. But I figure I think his religion is colossally stupid, so if he wants to think my gayness is evil, so be it. We can still coexist. But lately I'm having a hell of a time with it. I just find that I don't want to be around him anymore. The last straw for me was this adoption thing they have going. The baby is still in the hospital, and that's a story for another day, but the crux is that they will be bringing home a baby any day now, which, hey, great, unwanted babies need good homes. But the fact that this kid will be told I am evil the second she's old enough to grasp the concept just kinda rubs me the wrong way, you know? It's like I need to defensively end the friendship now to avoid the moment when they don't want to hang with us anymore, lest their precious new kid gets exposed to gay cooties. But if I ditched all my homophobic friends, I wouldn't have any friends. I would have my sister, and that's about it. Even the gay people I know are homophobic. My only hope with this adoption is that the kid, as kids tend to do, will reject her parents' conservatism and hate and become a hippie of her times. Wonder what the hippies of the next ten years will be called. As parents go, these will probably be decent ones. That makes me a bit sad. Is this the best we can do?